Sleeping Lady Divers at Kosrae Village — Diving in Kosrae
One of Kosrae's crowning jewels is her stunning fringing reef. The abundance of marine life and pristine hard corals make this a prime destination for divers throughout the world. Many of our best dive sites have mild currents and are great for photographers. Just remember, to keep our pristine corals healthy, you'll need to have good buoyancy skills. This coral reef is unique in that it offers a rich and exciting diving experience for even the most experienced divers – we never tire of it ourselves – and the safety of an easy dive for beginners. This reef proves that diving doesn't have to be hard to be thrilling.
Diving with Sleeping Lady Divers
Here's a typical dive day with us:
- It starts the night before, when we talk about the kind of diving you like, do the paperwork and get you set up with weights, nitrox and any other gear you need. This is a good time to mention any special considerations or concerns as well.
- In the morning, have a leisurely breakfast, while we load tanks and equipment. We do like guests to verify that we have ALL their equipment!
- After breakfast, just a short drive and we'll have you (and your gear) on the boat. We'll set up your gear, or you can set up your own, whatever you prefer. At the end of the dive day, we'll wash and put away your gear too, unless you'd rather do it yourself.
- Extra tanks, safety equipment, and dry items are safely stowed in the hatches. The awning is up, the equipment is secure, and off you go!
Cruzin the rich, healthy & diverse Kosrae reef
Lunch time! Relax and enjoy - Be sure to let us know ahead of time if you are vegetarian or have special requests.
Didn't get to see enough and you want to do a night dive? No problem!
Dive Boats, Staff & Gear
Our six passenger boats, complete with full awnings, let us do small custom dive and snorkel tours. Although it's never been needed, our boats are fully equipped with safety equipment, including oxygen.
Our dive guides are experienced local divers certified as Rescue divers. They are also certified in first aid, CPR and emergency oxygen administration.
Sleeping Lady Divers is a dealer for many manufacturers including Aqualung, Sherwood, and others and is Kosrae's only factory authorized repair center. Our repair technicians are certified to repair and maintain most major brands of equipment.
Not bringing your own gear? Our rental department offers a complete line of equipment including Air/Nitrox computers and oxygen clean regulators, not to mention SCUBA tanks in all sizes from 30 to 160 cf doubles, yoke or DIN valves. With two large compressors and a big bank system, we can guarantee the continuous availability of pure compressed air and Nitrox.
Diver Training & Instruction
Sleeping Lady Divers offers PADI and DSAT training:
Introductory and experiential classes, referral training (you do your classroom and pool work at home and complete your ocean dives with us), as well as the
- full Open Water diver course
- Advanced training through Dive Master and Assistant Instructor
- Specialized training in Nitrox, Deep Diving, UW Naturalist, and many more
- Tec Deep Diver certification for those who need to see what is "way down there"
PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) is now offering a number of classes online through their E Learning program, including the Open Water, Advanced, Underwater Photography, and Nitrox classes. Now it is possible to complete the academic portion of the class online, when it's convenient for you. This is perfect for busy people who want to learn, but don't have time to attend a traditional class. Click the link above for more information, or send Katrina (email@example.com) your questions.
Want to do something out of the ordinary??
Technical divers, snorkelers, free divers, blue water hunters, beginners, and people wanting refreshers will all have a wonderful experience.
- Some of your group want to snorkel? That's easy, we'll add a snorkel guide to the crew and everybody can go together.
- Your skills are a little rusty or you're a new diver and concerned that you'll hold back the group? Don't worry, one of our instructors will dive with you.
- You've got 8 people? - That's fine - we'll take two boats! (We like to limit the boats to 6 divers each).
- You're a technical diver and want to plan some deep exploration? - Great! - We've got the equipment, training and experience to support expeditions.
- You are a blue water hunter (breath hold) and want to spend time out from the reef? Also not a problem, we have enough boats and experienced divers / hunters / guides that we can set you up on your own.
- You love the ocean and would like to give something back. Consider one of our reef protection projects, coral monitoring, mooring buoy maintenance, etc. They are fun, valuable and TAX DEDUCTIBLE projects.
You've got more questions?
Here are links to more information about diving on Kosrae Island Reefs and our Reef Protection Projects.